Yorktown Preservation Society


The principal objective of the Yorktown Preservation Society is the identification, restoration and preservation of historic sites and records in the Yorktown, Virginia area.

Show All
DONATE NOW
Share our page on: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter
The Yorktown Preservation Society began as the Yorktown Branch of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA) in 1921. The APVA was renamed Preservation Virginia and when it dismantled its Branch structure in 2013, the members of the Yorktown Branch formed the Yorktown Preservation Society (YPS). One of the principle accomplishments of the organization since its inception in 1921 has been funding the preservation and restoration of York County Courthouse records which date from 1633, some of the oldest records in the state. From 1923 to the present, the organization has funded the restoration of more than 40 books of records from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. The most recent restorations have been marriage records from 1872-1876, which should be of special interest to those researching their ancestry.
Past projects have included seed money for the book "Yorktown's Buried History From Chiskiack to the Civil War" which documents the results of the 1980's and 1990's archeological digs in Yorktown. This research uncovered a large number of historic artifacts including many from Nicholas Martiau's original seventeenth century fort.
YPS also donates books of local historic interest to York County libraries, and recognizes volunteers and organizations who have helped preserve York County history. The YPS website maintains contact information for York County historical and civic organizations.